The best skin advice you can give your children is use a sun protection cream.
As a beauty professional, pro-age champion and lifelong fairy (fair skinned person) One of my top tips is use a spf 50+ on your face, every day even on cloudy days and during the winter months. It is also worth considering effects of sunlight through glass. Sun damage is well documented, but it really does cause premature ageing to the skin, which is why I am on my soap box – ‘Protect your face from the sun’. I would never suggest not to go in the sun at all, Vitamin D absorption from sunlight is very important and we get so much from those warm sunny days playing a major part to our mental health and wellbeing.
Why is protection so necessary?
Ultraviolet A (UVA) rays and how they affect your skin.
- They have higher wavelengths, but lower energy levels than other UV rays.
- They’re more penetrating than UVB rays, which means they can affect cells deeper in the skin.
- They cause indirect damage to DNA.
- They cause skin to age prematurely, leading to visible effects such as lines and wrinkles They’re also associated with some skin cancers.
- Unlike UVB rays, they’re not absorbed by the ozone layer. Nearly all UV rays that reach the ground are UVA rays.
- They cause an immediate tanning effect, and sometimes a sunburn.
- UVA rays are the main type of light used in tanning beds.
- They can penetrate windows and clouds.
Ultraviolet B (UVB) rays and how they affect your skin.
- Relative to UVA rays, UVB rays have shorter wavelengths and higher energy levels.
- UVB rays damage the outermost layers of the skin.
- They directly damage DNA.
- UVB rays cause most skin cancers, but they can also contribute to skin aging prematurely.
- They’re partially absorbed by the ozone layer, but some rays still get through.
- Usually, the effects of UVB rays are delayed, or appear a few hours after sun exposure. Over exposure leads to sunburn.
- Most tanning beds use a combination of UVA and UVB rays. Special UVB-only tanning beds may be touted as safe, but they still cause skin damage. No tanning beds are safe to use or recommended.
- They don’t penetrate windows, and are more likely to be filtered by clouds.
With so much research and knowledge that we now have on sun damage to skin, many skincare products contain sun protection within them. This is great, but often the spf is quite low, as in the past the high protection creams are very sticky and greasy. The great news is there are now many mineral formulas with innovative technology that protect your skin while also being light weight, non greasy and some can even be worn under make up. Look for formulas that have both UVA and UVB protection.
Effects on the environment
Another issue around sun factor creams is their effect on the environment. The chemical Oxybenzone is typically used in many spf creams and charged with contributing to coral bleaching as it damages adult coral but also deforms and kills baby coral, so reefs are less able to regenerate.
Mineral sunscreens are thought to be less harmful to coral reefs and form a physical barrier on the skin surface to protect against UVA and UVB rays.
Check the label
Check the label for ‘reef safe ‘ or ‘ocean safe’, protection against UVA and UVB and that the product does not contain oxybenzone or octinoxate.
My product selection to try
You do pay a little more for these facial sunscreens, but as I react to many of the basic product you pick up at the supermarket I think it is worth the extra and see it as part of a daily skin care routine.
Whatever your lifestyle, you deserve a facial SPF that will keep your skin protected from harmful UV rays and free radical damage every day. This innovative facial sunscreen features an ultra-lightweight, super-silky formulation which glides onto skin to provide broad spectrum, factor 50 protection, while prebiotics and plant polymers prime the skin for flawless makeup application.
Our entire sun protection range is certified reef-safe by Protect Land + Sea.
This sun lotion with sun and water flowers offers anti-aging cellular protection and helps achieve a gorgeous tan. Perfect for fair skin and for sensitive areas (face, cleavage, hands), it prevents the appearance of dark spots and does not leave a white film. Contains 79.5 % natural origin ingredients.
A lightweight facial sunscreen with SPF 50 PA++++ that helps provide protection against environmental aggressors and premature signs of aging. This one can be worn as a moisturizer.